Connecting to LinkedIn...

Blank

UWIC lead the way in setting education standards

UWIC lead the way in setting education standards

SCHOOLS across the country will be pleased to learn that the largest provider of teachers in Wales has been formally acknowledged for its commitment to achieving the highest standards in recruitment practice.

Education Specialists @ UWIC, a new recruitment agency based at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff (UWIC) has become the first Welsh agency to be awarded Working Towards the Quality Mark status (WTQM).

Participation on this rolling programme will give increased confidence to schools that staff supplied by Education Specialists @ UWIC have gone through a rigorous selection process that encompasses the relevant checks and correct recruitment procedures. It also offers assurance that legal obligations have been met as well as the provision of access to CPD for all supply teachers.

Mal Davies, head teacher of Willows High School and chairperson for General Teaching Council for Wales, said: I think its a very good initiative both from the schools point-of-view and from the young teachers point-of-view. It is rightly important that we tap into this range of talent that comes out of universities to ensure teachers complete their induction year as early as possible after leaving university. We really want Wales to be in a position similar to Scotland where every young teacher graduate is guaranteed a place in full time employment to ensure they complete their education.

By introducing the WTQM, the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC),in collaboration with the Welsh Assembly Government, aims to support agencies new to the provision of supply teachers in the early stages of their development in this sector, by enabling them to work in line with best practice standards until they can qualify for the full QM award.

Education Specialists @ UWIC is being closely monitored by the Quality Mark team at the REC and their practices reviewed on a regular basis to ensure compliance.

Angie Nicholls, Quality Mark manager at the REC said: UWIC have worked particularly hard in putting robust policies in place to ensure child safety is of
paramount importance, and that schools get a first class service. It will help to drive up standards in the sector, recruit teachers in the right way and have a good relationship with schools and their stakeholders.

At 31 March 2008, Civil Service employment was approximately 525,000 (492,000 on a full-time equivalent basis). Around 80 per cent of permanentemployees worked full-time, with the remaining 20 per cent working part-time. Just over half (52.9 per cent) of all permanent employees were women, with women making up 87.8 per cent of the part-time workforce.

Tags:

Articles similar to

Articles similar to