Connecting to LinkedIn...

Blank

ONE IN SIX OF US DONT TRUST OUR BOSS

ONE IN SIX OF US DONT TRUST OUR BOSS

According to the latest Employment Study from Badenoch & Clark, British managers are struggling to win the trust of their people one in six of the UK professional workforce dont believe a word their employer says. As British companies continue to struggle under the cloud of the recession, it seems the workforce is becoming increasingly sceptical of the news coming out of the boardroom.

Only 15% of the 1,005 workers that took part in the study were willing to admit that they totally trusted their manager, leaving a startling 85% of us wary of at least some of the information we receive from higher up the organisation. One of the knock-on results of this mistrust is a ramping up of the office rumour-mill. One in four workers reported an increase in company gossip since the recession has taken hold a figure that goes up to 49% amongst banking and finance professionals.

As well as the banking and finance sector, the Midlands seem to excel in this corporate mistrust. Nearly a third (32%) of workers in the midlands dont believe anything their employer/manager tells them, with a further 56% sceptical of at least some of what theyre told.

Neil Wilson, managing director at Badenoch & Clark, comments: These figures should come as a wake up call to employers and managers throughout the country. Theres currently significant effort being put in by many organisations to carefully control what is told to employees about business performance, but all of that is for nought unless theres an element of trust between employer and employee.

The erosion of that trust will result in a disengaged workforce, and one that harbours little loyalty to the organisation. There will be very little willingness to go the extra mile during the working day. Once the economy picks up and job opportunities start becoming more widespread, the employers with the lowest levels of trust could also see many of their most valued people leave.

There are a number of ways in which this trust can be built up again. Central to any measures though is the willingness and ability to communicate openly and honestly with your people. Dont simply deliver decisions as fait accompli explain the thinking behind major decisions. Ensure theres an opportunity for your people to ask questions and, more importantly, get answers.

Without this level of openness, mistrust will simply grow, and with it the inefficiency of your workforce.

Tags:

Articles similar to

Articles similar to