CTPartners announces net revenue growth of 40% in Q3
- Earnings Per Share of $0.17 Adjusted Earnings Per Share Increases to $0.25 Compared to $0.08 in Last Year’s Third Quarter
- Search Assignments Increased 31% Year over Year
- Fourth Quarter 2014 Guidance of Net Revenue of $41.0 Million to $43.0 Million and Adjusted EPS in the Range of $0.19 to $0.21
CTPartners Executive Search Inc., a global retained executive search firm, today announced its financial results for the third quarter and first nine months ended onSeptember 30, 2014.
“In the third quarter, CTPartners continued the strong momentum from the first half of the year as revenue grew 40% and adjusted earnings per share tripled over last year’s, exceeding our guidance. This exceptional performance was driven by growth across each of our practice areas and geographic markets as our operating metrics strengthened,” said Brian Sullivan, Chief Executive Officer.
Mr. Sullivan added, “We continue to invest in expanding our geographic footprint enhancing our ability to service our clients across the globe. The recently announced binding letter of intent to acquire Neumann will allow us to further scale our European operations while establishing a presence in the pivotal German executive search market. As we move into the fourth quarter and look to 2015 we are increasingly optimistic that we will continue to successfully execute our growth strategy and drive shareholder value.”
Third Quarter 2014 Results
Net revenue for the third quarter was $45.4 million, representing a 39.6% increase compared to $32.6 million in the prior year’s third quarter. Compared to last year’s third quarter, North America revenue increased 38.6% to$25.9 million over the $18.7 million EMEA was up 33.3% at $11.5 million compared to $8.6 million Asia Pacificrevenue grew 129.2% to $3.7 million compared to $1.6 million and Latin America’s revenue of $4.4 million grew 19.5% compared to $3.6 million in last year’s third quarter. On a practice basis, year-over-year, Financial Services improved 30.9% to $11.6 million Professional Services increased 19.1% to $7.8 million Industrial grew 41.1% to$5.3 million Technology Media & Telecom grew 124.2% to $6.2 million Life Sciences increased 45.4% to $9.1 million and Consumer/Retail revenue grew 25.3% to $5.6 million.
Compensation expense, excluding non-operating expenses, was $33.3 million, or 73.3% of revenue, compared to$24.5 million, or 75.1% of revenue, in the third quarter of 2013. General and administrative expenses, excluding non-operating expenses, were $8.9 million, or 19.6% of revenue, compared with $6.9 million, or 21.2% of revenue, in the third quarter of 2013.
GAAP net income attributable to the Company for the third quarter was $1.3 million, or $0.17 per share, compared to a net income of $0.7 million, or $0.09 per share, for last year’s third quarter. Excluding after-tax non-operating items of $0.6 million and $0.1 million for 2014 and 2013, respectively, adjusted net income was$1.9 million, or $0.25 per share, compared to an adjusted net income of $0.6 million, or $0.08 per share, in the prior year’s third quarter. A reconciliation of non-GAAP measures is included in this news release.
Adjusted operating income was $3.1 million in the third quarter compared to an adjusted operating income of$1.0 million in the year-ago third quarter. Adjusted operating margin was 6.9% in the third quarter compared to 3.2% in the 2013 third quarter. Adjusted EBITDA was $3.7 million in the 2014 third quarter compared to $1.6 million in the year-ago third quarter. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 8.2% and 5.0% in the third quarter of 2013 and 2014, respectively.
Performance Metrics - Third Quarter 2014
• The Company was engaged in 445 new search assignments, a 31% increase compared to 341 in the year-ago quarter.
• The number of placements was 362 compared with 253 in last year’s comparable quarter. The placement rate for this year’s third quarter was 87%.
• CTPartners had 142 consultants at September 30, 2014, compared with 120 consultants at the end of last year’s comparable quarter. The net revenue per consultant was $1.3 million.
• Average revenue per search was $100,300 compared to $92,100 in the year-ago quarter.
• The Company’s voluntary turnover was two consultants in the third quarter of 2014, allowing CTPartners to maintain one of the lowest turnover rates in the executive search industry.
• The number of clients representing repeat business was 67% in the third quarter and 135 new clients engaged CTPartners for the first time.
Nine-Month Financial Results
For the nine months ended September 30, 2014, net revenue totalled $130.4 million compared to net revenue$96.0 million reported for the nine months ended September, 30, 2013. GAAP net income attributable to the Company for the nine months ended September 30, 2014 was $4.6 million, or $0.59 per share compared to net loss of $1.8 million, or $0.25 per share, for the nine months ended September 30, 2013. Excluding after-tax non-operating items of $1.2 million and $2.7 million for 2014 and 2013, respectively, adjusted net income was $5.8 million, or $0.76 per share, compared to adjusted net income of $0.9 million, or $0.11 per share, in the prior year’s nine month period. Adjusted EBITDA was $11.3 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2014compared to $3.1 million in the year-ago nine month period. A reconciliation of non-GAAP measures is included in this news release.