Interim executives use the Nelson Touch to drive business change
New research from PROPHET Profiling and recruitment specialist Hemming Robeson reveals that successful interim executives tend to lead through ideas and vision, inspiring people to act on their own initiative rather than managing to orders. The profiles of 144 UK interim executives reveal a marked contrast with the motivations, decision making styles and relationships fostered by typical full-time executives, who are markedly less leadership and change oriented.
Ben Stones, Managing Director, PROPHET Profiling, said: “Successful interim executives often deploy the Nelson Touch to deliver business results. Whether it’s a merger and acquisition, business turnaround or simple drive to improve operational efficiency, interim executives tend to inspire and influence, thriving in times of business change. Motivated by a heightened sense of achievement, rather than dictate a set of actions, they generate enthusiasm to make a big impact in a short space of time.”
The new report provides insight into interim executives operating at Executive and Board level who, between them, work across all sectors and functions in leadership roles. The results show that while there is no set template, a very pronounced set of traits emerge:
1. Successful interims lead through the use of values, ideas and intentions - those they are leading are clear about the intended picture of success
2. Successful interims influence and inspire others to achieve a goal
3. Successful interims show twice as strong a preference for taking the lead, compared to the appetite shown by our normed average executive
4. Successful interims motivate through people, rather than managing to orders
5. Successful interims show twice as strong preference for inspired decision making, feeling one’s way.
Nick Robeson, Founder, Hemming Robeson, said: “Use of Interim Management at Board-level continues to rise* especially in Retail, Manufacturing and Service sectors as companies witness the impact of this resource. As demand grows it is imperative to understand what drives their success. PROPHET Profiling analysis has significantly advanced our understanding of what makes our interim executives deliver time and time again.”
Well known businesses such as Lloyds, Yodel, AstraZeneca, SABMiller, Serco and Thames Water have all used interim executives during times of change, for M&A activity and in some cases to manage crisis.
Please contact us for a copy of the report: & lsquo;Interims have the Nelson Touch’.
*Interim Management Association (IMA) IpsosMori Surveys 2000-2014