CompTIA launches course to stem biggest cause of data breaches
CompTIA has launched a training programme to help UK organisations educate their staff in the fundamentals of cybersecurity in the workplace.
It says the new programme, called CyberSecure, gives an organisation’s employees cybersecurity awareness and knowledge of their everyday actions and give the crucial first step towards protecting against data breaches.
The cost of data breaches continues to soar, with the average UK breach costing upwards of £1.4m according to PwC’s Information Security Breaches Survey 2015. Meanwhile, CompTIA’s International Trends in Cybersecurity research revealed that human error was the cause of 52% of data breaches last year, and 79% of companies believe that cybersecurity threats are on the rise. CyberSecure’s content has been informed directly by research, ensuring training tackles current security issues.
Graham Hunter, VP Certifications, Europe and Middle East, CompTIA, said, “Every business that uses IT needs to be aware of the consequences of bad cybersecurity practice.
“Time and time again, we hear of employees causing data breaches, whether that be through leaving a USB device with important data lying around, or clicking on unsolicited links in emails. Such actions are rarely malicious and more often the result of a lack of training, knowledge or general carelessness.”
To help train employees and help prevent this cause of data breaches, the company states that CompTIA CyberSecure™ has been designed as a self-paced, online course designed to educate everyone in the workplace – from the front desk receptionist to the company owner or chief executive – on the cybersecurity best practices that are vital to protecting the business.
Hunter commented, “It’s clear that cybersecurity is no longer exclusively the domain of the IT security department.
“The responsibility lies upon all employees to be secure with their devices, and this only increases as more employees work remotely and on the move.”
Learning modules for CompTIA CyberSecure were developed and approved with the expertise and guidance of the help of the CompTIA IT Security Community, a group of industry leaders in the IT security sector. The programme will set a baseline and cultural standard for cybersecurity practice within an organisation, and will help the IT industry by educating end-users about the critical issue.
The course covers six areas:
- Protecting yourself and your company from information leaks: Understanding the difference users can make to a company’s security and the steps they can take to make it safer.
- Basic categories of information security threats: Understanding where leaks can come from and the different types of threats.
- Cultivating a safe information mind-set: How IT and HR policies can help instil secure behaviour
- Cultivating a safe environment: The security practices employees should adhere to in the office or working remotely.
- Implementing safety strategies online: How practicing awareness, vigilance and scepticism will keep data safe
- Protecting data and networks: How users can protect their business’ networks
CompTIA claims that each category delivers comprehensive cybersecurity training in a way that’s engaging for employees and efficient for the employer.
CyberSecure is available now for members and non-members. Members will receive is 50 free training seats per year and 10% off any additional seats. For members to redeem they should contact Melody Blanc at email@example.com.